Saturday, March 5, 2011

you can take the girl out of southeastern NC-- but you can't take the southeastern NC out of the girl..or something like that.


i absolutely love the fact that, despite the 331.65 miles [but really, who's counting?] between me and sans souci, i'm still THE white lake girl to people. a few months ago, someone in the wal-mart parking lot noticed my 'nation's safest beach' tag and sparked up a conversation with me. before i could even get out of my car, she was going absolutely crazy, flailing her arms and embarrassing her son. apparently, she has family in wilmington and used to go to wl as a kid.
this morning, i was on a grand adventure in waynesville [big lots, no doubt] and a man stopped me in the parking lot to tell me he went to FFA camp when he was in high school--back in the 50's. naturally, he asked me if i live near the "camp site". when i told him that my house is on the other side of the lake he asked if i lived at the "fair". yes sir, i live in the wildlife exhibit. really?
this week, i was mailing my recommendation letters for the CRM internship [cross your fingers!] wearing my eb soccer hoodie. the lady behind the counter asked me exactly where in bladen county i lived. we chatted for a few minutes and i left because the lady behind me was getting impatient and wasn't interested in my conversation with the postmistress or her family tree rooted in clinton.
today, i found a letter in my mailbox addressed to 'white lake girl', asking my opinion on rental houses at the lake. ill see what i can do, margie. i sure do miss that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment